Monday, September 13, 2004

Goings on

My brother and his girlfriend are still visiting with us, as Ivan is heading toward Florida. The plan is to let Ivan do its destruction and then start driving home.

While they were here, Anna's class had Grandparent day. Since she has no grandparents nearby, we sent the Uncle and Miss Lady Whitney. They made a cute crayon hat and a snack. Here's Anna modeling the hip hat:



As promised, here are the minimum legwarmers made from Sally Meville's The Knit Stitch book. I don't know if I will wear them (much or at all), but I did learn to knit in the round. I mostly wanted to do a long tube (ie. legwarmers) before tackling a hat.



I do believe that the Melville books are the most valuable items that I have in my knitting book collection. I read this article in Knitty and had to try this book. It was as good as described. The patterns are fun, but the descriptions and pictures actually make sense. Plus she seems to allow you to think about what you are doing and make modifications that are intuitive. I'm a big believer in feeling your way through the project.

Speaking of which, here's my gorgeous Colinette Shimmer Weekend Warrior sweater:



At first I was afraid that the yarn was much too scratchy, while quite beautiful. But it knits up much smoother than I originally thought. I referred to Melville's book for the M1 stitch--the Yarn girls description didn't make much sense, and it seemed to be creating a hole. I think it is because the yarn is so large. So, I made some modifications with Melville's book, and it looks much better. I'm about half way up the sleeves, the front and back are complete. I think I will need some other yarn to stitch it together, as the colinette is much too thick. Any advice on using another yarn for finishing?


Gallery of Finished Objects

Gallery 2007
Gallery 2006
Gallery 2005
Gallery 2004

On the Needles

Cable Cardigan

Faroe Island Sweater

Rowan Denim Seahorse

Mittens

Future Knits

Lisette from Rowan

Lorna's Laces Socks

Backyard Leaves Scarf

Eloise from Jane Ellison


Weather

The WeatherPixie

Blogroll

Blog Rings

Knitting Blogs

Knitting Bloggers
Previous | Next



Academics Knit
Join | List | Previous | Next
Powered by RingSurf

Texas Knitters
Join | List | Previous | Next |
Powered by RingSurf

Rowanette Blog Ring
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random |

Base layout by Firdamatic
Graphics by Amy
Powered by Blogger
Valid XHTML and CSS

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

eXTReMe Tracker