Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Do you feel the disgust radiating through the computer?

Yes, that is right. Disgust.

I must have swatched about 10 (no exageration) times, on lots of different needles, looking for gauge on the blasted Weekend Knitting Union Station Shawl/Poncho. I can't find anyone else who made this in the Via Mala on the web, so I suspect that either I am a totally loose knitter (not buying it) or there is a problem with the pattern gauge as reported in the pattern. The Via Mala recommends 10 stitches/ 10 cm (about 10 stitches to 4 inches) on a 5/6 mm (8-10 US) needle. The pattern says gauge is 19 stitches to 4" on a US 9 needle. Ok. I don't think that is possible. My gauge is 12 stitches to 4 inches on US 9. I tried to go smaller, but I can only get gauge down at US 2. Not only do I refuse to knit this on small fiddly needles, but the baby cable stitch pattern won't look nice on smaller needles. So, I need to convert the recommended 90 stitches=19 inches across. Thankfully there are no increases/decreases at all--just a huge, long block of knitting. I think I can do 62 inches and, with the 1 extra yarn ball I have, make this work. Am I calculating right? I have never done anything like this before, so help from you folks who know what you are doing (can add) would be great!

My Flounce Jacket is still damp, but maybe I will be able to stitch it up by tomorrow.

And, I have to admit that I ordered yarn for another sweater. Yes, I decided to make Eloise from Jane Ellison's Noro Knits:



Here's the pretty Noro Blossom I bought:



I love finding a deal on ebay!

Why did I break my No Buy policy? Well, I am weak. And, here's what my stash looks like:



Notice that you now can see the Nancy Drew books and punk rock vinyl. There's only the Blossom yarn, the Colinette summer jacket, and the two leftover skeins of Colinette Point 5 from my Flounce Jacket in the overflow chest! Here's the regular stash repository:



I'm doing great! I have a big bag of leftover and spare yarn to give to my mother in law when she visits. She does a lot of charity knitting, so it is good to give her the yarn that isn't going to get used. Look at me knit!

Gallery of Finished Objects

Gallery 2007
Gallery 2006
Gallery 2005
Gallery 2004

On the Needles

Cable Cardigan

Faroe Island Sweater

Rowan Denim Seahorse

Mittens

Future Knits

Lisette from Rowan

Lorna's Laces Socks

Backyard Leaves Scarf

Eloise from Jane Ellison


Weather

The WeatherPixie

Blogroll

Blog Rings

Knitting Blogs

Knitting Bloggers
Previous | Next



Academics Knit
Join | List | Previous | Next
Powered by RingSurf

Texas Knitters
Join | List | Previous | Next |
Powered by RingSurf

Rowanette Blog Ring
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random |

Base layout by Firdamatic
Graphics by Amy
Powered by Blogger
Valid XHTML and CSS

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

eXTReMe Tracker