Saturday, January 29, 2005

Secret Pals has begun!

I'm so very excited--Secret Pals 4 has begun. This is my first Secret Pals, so I just can't wait. I heard from my lovely SP, and I email and heard from my SP giftee! I'm planning and thinking about what to send my Secret Pal giftee. And, my SP asked for my list, so here it is:


1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer high- a nd/natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand? Or is it all the same to you?

Well, sort of?? I love to work with lovely natural and high end fibers, but I tend to pick yarn that will work for the project. So I will use Lion Brand mixes for my daughter's clothes, since I have to be able to easily wash them in the wash machine. I actually love to try different yarns, and tend to be very adventerous. But, no Red Heart or scratchy acrylic.

2. Do you spin? Crochet?
Neither--just knit.

3. Do you have any allergies? (smoke, pets, fibers, perfume, etc.)
I'm not sure if I would actually call them allergies, but I don't like smoke or perfume. Both tend to make my eyes itchy and watery. We have dogs and cats, so no problems there, and any fiber seems fine.

4. How long have you been knitting?
I learned when I was a 4-her--around 7 years old. I knitted a little, gave it up, and have been knitting this last 6 months. I'm hooked this time around.

5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
Yes, I do: here at Amazon. You will notice that my daughter's list is included--I'm not the one who is wishing for Wiggles or the kid's books (well maybe a little--different books each knit help with the "let's read ten books" requests)!

6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
I'm big on spice--especially for candles. Bath products? Who has time for a long soak?

7. Do you have a sweet tooth?
You bet! Milk Chocolate (especially European brands) is a huge favorite.

8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?
Renovate our house and garden, when I have time.

9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I love most kinds of music. U2 has been my favorite band since 1983, but I love folk, country, celtic, punk, and most other kinds of music. Not a fan of contemporary pop music...

10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer?
I love black, grey, blues, and greens. I will wear bright colors in those palettes, but with reddish toned hair, I try to avoid pinks, yellows, oranges and reds. I'm actually not that picky.

11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I have a great family situation--hubby and two year old girl. We have a crotchity old cat and two dawgs (it's Texas--they are definitely dawgs...)

12. What are your life dreams? (really stretching it here, I know)
I am really, really happy with my life, but I guess my real dream (other than continued happiness in family and job), is to travel. Lots. Anywhere. I've been to China, Denmark, Germany, France, Ireland, Canada, Mexico, St. Croix (wedding), and the Turks and Caicos. I want that list to grow!

13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?
I love Noro, Colinette, Mission Falls wool and cotton, most GGH yarns, Rowan, and pretty much any other lovely, fun yarn. I'm not big on polar or novelty yarns. I'm more into natural fibers. It gets really warm here in Texas, so I try to stick with light or mid weight yarns.

14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
Um. Acrylic. Super scratchy yarns. Who dislikes yarn?

15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s?
I am really into self striping yarns and fun colored yarns. I'm starting some lace projects and that is looking to be my new obsession. I love patterns that make me think and pay attention.

16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Cables. Love cables. And Charts.

17. What are you knitting right now?
This blasted never ending Union Square Shawl/Poncho from Weekend Knitting and a pretty lace fringed sweater (coquette) from Fall 04 Knitters. Take a look at the side list for my supposed plans.

18. What do you think about ponchos?
I made one for my daughter and my Mom. I think they won't stay in style, so my "poncho" looks more traditional and should give me more wear.

19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?
I'm a fan of circular, though will knit on straight.

20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
I love bamboo, but I really want some nice circular Addi's.

21. Are you a sock knitter?
Yup. I finished my first pair and have bought some yarn for another pair or two. Lots of fun!

22. How did you learn to knit?
My Mom taught me for a 4-H project. I made some ugly slippers and a matching bootie and mitten set for my cousin. I think I just wasn't inspired by the yarn.

23. How old is your oldest UFO?
Um. The Weekend knitting thing--about 2 months, I think. I HATE to leave projects unfinished. I think I'm just too uptight for that.

24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?
Hmm. Not really into animated characters. I love my live and living animals, though I recently visited an Alpaca farm and am obsessed with those cuties. I also had sheep as a 4-H project. We live on a small ranchette with a barn, and we've talked about getting goats and sheep, so those would count as favorites I think.

25. What is your favorite holiday?
Christmas. I love the lights, the family, the food, and the cold/snow.

26. Is there anything that you collect?
Books. I'm an English Ph.D. so you would expect that. And music--I love iTunes and my iPod.

This is so much fun! Thanks a billion, SP!

Gallery of Finished Objects

Gallery 2007
Gallery 2006
Gallery 2005
Gallery 2004

On the Needles

Cable Cardigan

Faroe Island Sweater

Rowan Denim Seahorse

Mittens

Future Knits

Lisette from Rowan

Lorna's Laces Socks

Backyard Leaves Scarf

Eloise from Jane Ellison


Weather

The WeatherPixie

Blogroll

Blog Rings

Knitting Blogs

Knitting Bloggers
Previous | Next



Academics Knit
Join | List | Previous | Next
Powered by RingSurf

Texas Knitters
Join | List | Previous | Next |
Powered by RingSurf

Rowanette Blog Ring
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random |

Base layout by Firdamatic
Graphics by Amy
Powered by Blogger
Valid XHTML and CSS

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

eXTReMe Tracker