Monday, June 20, 2005

The Sock Visits Stanford

I've been at Stanford for a Computers and Writing Conference this past weekend. The great part of this is that the family gets to visit with my sister-in-law and brother-in-law while I head to the conference. My paper went well, and the papers I heard were interesting.

The sock had a great time tooling around the campus. In homage to the Yarn Harlot, I want to include some of the images of the sock at play. Note the sock in repose:


Fountain at Stanford, originally uploaded by amyeetx.



Need a close up?


Sock in Repose, originally uploaded by amyeetx.



I actually finished the sock during the conference. The toe needs to be grafted, but I don't have the right size needle here, so that will have to wait until later. I love conferences where you actually get to knit. When I knit it is so much easier to focus on what the panelists are saying. Usually I get some strange looks, but this academia--we are all a bit off... What's a sock knitter in that bunch?

One of the nicest things about this conference is that they had our reception and outside dinner for the conference main speaker in the Rodin Sculpture Garden.

The area beside the conference had Rodin's Burghers of Calais in the Memorial Court:


Rodin at Stanford, originally uploaded by amyeetx.



Rodin was commissioned to create this sculpture to commemorate the Burghers of Calais who willing went to their death to save their village from attack. I've seen Rodin in Philadelphia as well. Many of the sculptures are from the same molds, but it was nice to see the sculptures in a different environment.

Tomorrow we head back to Texas! I'll see you on Wednesday.

Gallery of Finished Objects

Gallery 2007
Gallery 2006
Gallery 2005
Gallery 2004

On the Needles

Cable Cardigan

Faroe Island Sweater

Rowan Denim Seahorse

Mittens

Future Knits

Lisette from Rowan

Lorna's Laces Socks

Backyard Leaves Scarf

Eloise from Jane Ellison


Weather

The WeatherPixie

Blogroll

Blog Rings

Knitting Blogs

Knitting Bloggers
Previous | Next



Academics Knit
Join | List | Previous | Next
Powered by RingSurf

Texas Knitters
Join | List | Previous | Next |
Powered by RingSurf

Rowanette Blog Ring
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random |

Base layout by Firdamatic
Graphics by Amy
Powered by Blogger
Valid XHTML and CSS

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

eXTReMe Tracker