Monday, July 25, 2005

The Experimental Sock

I have finished the first opal sock and am not sure what I really think about 1) the sock 2) the yarn and 3) the Simple Socks book.

First, here's Anna showing off the sock:


Anna Sock
Originally uploaded by amyeetx.



I do know that I like the self striping part of the yarn. And, Maureen says that the opal yarn washes very nicely. I'm going to take her word, since she is a great sock maker and knows how these things work, which means that I probably like the yarn. I'm not enamored of the way the yarn pulls out of the skein however. Check the previous picture for the huge glop of yarn.... I have to rewind it before I start the next sock... Argh.

And I tried a new cast on for the socks--Twisted German cast on.
This technique is certainly worth learning--the top is much more elastic.

On the other hand, I can tell you that I don't like all of the techniques laid out in the Simple Socks book. Now, please let me qualify my complaint. These are the third pair of socks that I have made, so my sock experience is pretty low. And, I'm certainly not an advanced knitter. But, I've ripped out the heel and toe a few times and fixed some of the problems, but the heel is not as nice as the flap heel with picked up stitches that I have made previously. Take a look:


Sock Heel
Originally uploaded by amyeetx.



There is an uneven seam running down the side of the sock, and I used a bit of the loose end to sew up some of the gaps. The heel used a number of yarn overs to turn the corner, which should, in theory, create a smooth heel. I ripped and reknit this a few times, paying particular attention to the way that I wrapped the yarn, but it still wasn't as neat of a heel as I had created with the flap. So, unless I can figure out the problem on the next sock (I will try the technique with the next sock for consistency), I think this is a technique that isn't for me.

The toe was to be turned in the same manner of the heel, but I abandoned this pretty quickly. I went back to Nancy Bush's excellent book Knitting on the Road and used on of the toe designs from the book that ends in a Kitchener stitch. I can't wait to see her new book, Knitting Vintage Socks, has in it.


Sock Toe
Originally uploaded by amyeetx.



All in all I'm glad that I tried another way to knit socks. I'm not yet confident in altering patterns, but sock techniques seem like a good place to start.

Gallery of Finished Objects

Gallery 2007
Gallery 2006
Gallery 2005
Gallery 2004

On the Needles

Cable Cardigan

Faroe Island Sweater

Rowan Denim Seahorse

Mittens

Future Knits

Lisette from Rowan

Lorna's Laces Socks

Backyard Leaves Scarf

Eloise from Jane Ellison


Weather

The WeatherPixie

Blogroll

Blog Rings

Knitting Blogs

Knitting Bloggers
Previous | Next



Academics Knit
Join | List | Previous | Next
Powered by RingSurf

Texas Knitters
Join | List | Previous | Next |
Powered by RingSurf

Rowanette Blog Ring
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random |

Base layout by Firdamatic
Graphics by Amy
Powered by Blogger
Valid XHTML and CSS

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

eXTReMe Tracker