Monday, September 05, 2005

Multiple Musings

I don't want to use this blog to rant, but I do have to register my utter disgust with the way in which the government has responded to the disaster along the Gulf Coast. Like many, I think that the fact that this is the South, with poor, African-American citizens, has a lot to do with the way in which the response was given. Watching the images made me think that there looked to be no difference between what was happening with New Orleans and the images of crisis in third world countries. It highlights the inequities in our society. New Orleans always struck me as a completely divided city: those that have and those that have not. And that is often divided by race lines. Of course, it doesn't help that FEMA's budget has been drastically cut over the last three years. And then there is the fact that the head of FEMA (appointed by Bush) has this experience: Former commissioner of the International Arabian Horse Association. Check this story: FEMA head.

I can only hope that this is the proverbial wake up call. By way of Matthew Kirschenbaum's blog, is Mark Bernstein's "What Ended."

The other thing that makes me think that there might be hope is the way in which Texas has responded. I've been reading various stories at the Houston Chronicle, and it looks like those who have been evacuated to Texas are getting necessary support. Even our town has been taking people, housing them in shelters, churches, the sports arena... I'm particularly interested in the Dome Blog that is recording the responses and needs of those at the Reliant Astrodome and Convention Center. I'm sure that there is much more to do, but at least some help is coming.

Ok. Enough of the politics. I feel better now that I've gotten that off my chest. On to the knitting.

I was just about finished the back of Arabella when I discovered this:




Originally uploaded by amyeetx.



If you look very carefully you will see that I am one stitch off with the ribbing in the top few inches. Argh. So, I got out my little, tiny crochet hook and tried to fix it. I'm usually not that great in such repairs, but this one worked!


Arabella Back
Originally uploaded by amyeetx.



It is a little tighter than the rest of the stitches, but at least it is properly aligned! Anna had this response:


Tank Back
Originally uploaded by amyeetx.



When I was at the grocery store this weekend I found some lovely organic Braeburn apples. These are the kind of apples my grandmother swears by--the best for apple pie. I'm Pennsylvania Dutch/Mennonite by heritage, and our pies are an art. So, it was time to teach Anna. She loved making the crumbs for the top of the pie.


Pie girl!
Originally uploaded by amyeetx.



The pie came out nicely. The apples are a big improvement over Granny Smith. Yummy. At least the pie can act as some sort of comfort during this crazy time.

Apple Pie
Originally uploaded by amyeetx.

Gallery of Finished Objects

Gallery 2007
Gallery 2006
Gallery 2005
Gallery 2004

On the Needles

Cable Cardigan

Faroe Island Sweater

Rowan Denim Seahorse

Mittens

Future Knits

Lisette from Rowan

Lorna's Laces Socks

Backyard Leaves Scarf

Eloise from Jane Ellison


Weather

The WeatherPixie

Blogroll

Blog Rings

Knitting Blogs

Knitting Bloggers
Previous | Next



Academics Knit
Join | List | Previous | Next
Powered by RingSurf

Texas Knitters
Join | List | Previous | Next |
Powered by RingSurf

Rowanette Blog Ring
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random |

Base layout by Firdamatic
Graphics by Amy
Powered by Blogger
Valid XHTML and CSS

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

eXTReMe Tracker