Monday, October 31, 2005

Happy Halloween!

First, I am sorry for the confusion over the previous post. The sign (with yarn ball clock) is actually a promo piece for an English Textbook. I don't think there is any relation between knitting and the book, as far as I can tell. Still, I love the knitting ball!

I made it! Yes, I finished Anna's Halloween costume on Tuesday night so that she could wear it to her big Gymnastics Halloween party on Wednesday. Here she is:


Faerie Dress
Originally uploaded by amyeetx.

Happy Halloween!



She insisted on wearing her gymnastics leotard under the dress, which was just fine. I cut the netting and then recut it to make it a bit shorter. I discovered that even shorter might have been better, as she ripped a small piece while on the balance beam. (My mother informed me that the cosume was dangerous during gymnastics, regardless of all the padding. She is right, but Anna managed well.)

The skirt gets an elastic band in a casing and is then attached to the bodice. I haven't used my sewing machine in eons, but it still sews. I was glad I attached the skirt and the ribbons with the machine. Hand sewing would not have held up.


Good dog
Originally uploaded by amyeetx.



Even the dog loved this pink shiny costume (do dogs see color? sparkles?)

Here is the costume after class and the child with her cat face:


Party
Originally uploaded by amyeetx.



Other news? This weekend I had to give a paper at a conference in Houston. The paper went fine, the conference was fine, but I am convinced that my entire family ended up with a food born illness. If I remember correctly from my Serve Safe course, it takes 12-24 hours for the bacteria to build in your system and to show symptoms. Well, 12 hours from our Friday dinner at the hotel restaurant everyone but Anna had symptoms. Yuck. I feel really bad for my Mom who came in from New Hampshire to help and ended up with sick cranky people. Not great. Add to that my husband's jet lag from the end of his Paris trip... well you get the idea. I think it will be a lumpy week.

There was one pre-illness bright spot to the weekend, however. Friday night was the U2 show in Houston. I have had tickets since March (pre sale through U2.com), and they were general admission. That meant that we were on the floor and had a chance of the ellipse, the area right in front of the stage, if the computer program picked out our number. And, it did! We could see amazingly well, and the show was one of the best I have ever seen them do (I've seen about 12 shows over 20 years...) My husband declared that the show was the best rock show he had ever seen--and better than Bruce Springsteen! That's a huge compliment.

The crowd was full of pregnant women and "old folks". Must be something about the demographics of the crowd. My husband was so nervous that he would be the oldest guy there, but we saw tons of grey haired guys. In fact, I think we were one of the younger ones in the ellipse area. Hmm. Good to know we aren't quite as antiquated as we thought we were!

Gallery of Finished Objects

Gallery 2007
Gallery 2006
Gallery 2005
Gallery 2004

On the Needles

Cable Cardigan

Faroe Island Sweater

Rowan Denim Seahorse

Mittens

Future Knits

Lisette from Rowan

Lorna's Laces Socks

Backyard Leaves Scarf

Eloise from Jane Ellison


Weather

The WeatherPixie

Blogroll

Blog Rings

Knitting Blogs

Knitting Bloggers
Previous | Next



Academics Knit
Join | List | Previous | Next
Powered by RingSurf

Texas Knitters
Join | List | Previous | Next |
Powered by RingSurf

Rowanette Blog Ring
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random |

Base layout by Firdamatic
Graphics by Amy
Powered by Blogger
Valid XHTML and CSS

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

eXTReMe Tracker