Wednesday, October 05, 2005

On the Needles: Gingham

Ever have one of those weeks that make you feel like you are completing the work that you were supposed to do three months ago? yup. That's this week--and the whole semester. I am currently perching in another office waiting for my furniture to arrive. It will be nice to have a helpful new desk, but this waiting is tough. I miss my own space--space that doesn't smell like cigarette smoke from 1970.

I have been working on a new project from my stash:


Interweave Knit's Gingham Pattern
Originally uploaded by amyeetx.



This is Gingham, from Interweave Knits Winter 00?, in Jewel colorway, Muench Naturwolle. I bought it from Theresa, who was having a stash reduction sale on her blog, Knitting the Blues. I am enjoying this fast knit. The yarn sort of reminds me of Colinette 5 point, but it is softer and less wooly smelling. I'm making the smallest size, since I don't want it hugely oversized (like the picture). So far the measurements suggest it won't be, but it looks like the wool will stretch with soaking, blocking and wear. I'm hoping it will end up exactly right.

I laid out the back and two fronts, tacking them down with some pins.


Gingham Back
Originally uploaded by amyeetx.



They are obviously in need of some serious blocking. This is only the second time that have done any intarsia, but, except for a little rolling, I think it is going pretty well. A little tugging suggests that it will block out nicely.



Originally uploaded by amyeetx.



These look a little uneven, but they are actually very, very close in size. Again, needs some serious blocking. Notice my lazy old cat? He loves the wool--must be the smell. He wanted to sit and chew on the ends during the picture session.

Here's the back, so you can see the strands that I carried. Hope this works.


Gingham Back Stranded
Originally uploaded by amyeetx.



And, in response to my mother who was complaining of the lack of kid pictures, here is the child. She dressed up in beads, hat and boots to hang out on the back deck in our more temperate 93 degree weather last weekend.


Dressed up
Originally uploaded by amyeetx.



Boots, you say? Well, we live in Texas, so we might as well get with it and buy some boots. I LOVE them.


New Boots
Originally uploaded by amyeetx.

Gallery of Finished Objects

Gallery 2007
Gallery 2006
Gallery 2005
Gallery 2004

On the Needles

Cable Cardigan

Faroe Island Sweater

Rowan Denim Seahorse

Mittens

Future Knits

Lisette from Rowan

Lorna's Laces Socks

Backyard Leaves Scarf

Eloise from Jane Ellison


Weather

The WeatherPixie

Blogroll

Blog Rings

Knitting Blogs

Knitting Bloggers
Previous | Next



Academics Knit
Join | List | Previous | Next
Powered by RingSurf

Texas Knitters
Join | List | Previous | Next |
Powered by RingSurf

Rowanette Blog Ring
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random |

Base layout by Firdamatic
Graphics by Amy
Powered by Blogger
Valid XHTML and CSS

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

eXTReMe Tracker