Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Trains, Frogs and Bags

Trains

The Bush Library has a spring special exhibit on trains in their gallery and part of the celebration is the inclusion of model trains. They have invited model railroad groups to bring their minature railroads on various weekends for the publics' viewing. The Houston Train Collectors Association set up a nice (free) exhibit during this past weekend.

They had two different platforms, one of which was for short people and had lots of little buttons to push that made things go. The small one enjoyed looking at the trains:




Train yard
Originally uploaded by amyeetx.

My Dad collected Lionel Trains from the 50s so the set ups bring back fond memories. Every Christmas Dad would set up a fairly large train yard for his trains, and I would help to arrange the buildings and remote controlled contraptions. I particularly loved the horse car that let the horses wander out of the car into a corral. Dad would let me push the whistle and add the fake smoke that comes out of the train stacks.


Trains
Originally uploaded by amyeetx.

Apparently Lionel decided to manufacture a girl's train in the 50s. It was pastel colors with a pink locomotive. Here's a repo:


The Girl Train
Originally uploaded by amyeetx.

No one bought these trains (something about the 50s and restrictive roles for girls... ahem), and now they are one of the most expensive items in the Lionel Train collection.

Frogs

I dropped into my LYS, the Hook and Needle, to check out all of the new books and Nancy, the owner gave me this super cute little pendant:


I Frog
Originally uploaded by amyeetx.

Nancy told me that these are for those of us that spend a lot of time frogging. Hey! That's me! I'm a frogger!

Bags

Our local TKGA has given us a challenge for the spring--make a bag. Here's my choice:



Bushoong ZigZag Bag
Originally uploaded by amyeetx.

This is the Bushoong ZigZag Bag from Folk Bags by Vicki Square. It is made with Brown Sheep Bulky and, upon completion, gets felted. Here's what I finished so far--the first side and bottom. That teal thing is my make shift stitch holder. It turns out that I only have one set of size 11 needles and I need them to finish my Rowan Bless--that long unfinished cardigan.


Bushoong Bag, side 1
Originally uploaded by amyeetx.

Gallery of Finished Objects

Gallery 2007
Gallery 2006
Gallery 2005
Gallery 2004

On the Needles

Cable Cardigan

Faroe Island Sweater

Rowan Denim Seahorse

Mittens

Future Knits

Lisette from Rowan

Lorna's Laces Socks

Backyard Leaves Scarf

Eloise from Jane Ellison


Weather

The WeatherPixie

Blogroll

Blog Rings

Knitting Blogs

Knitting Bloggers
Previous | Next



Academics Knit
Join | List | Previous | Next
Powered by RingSurf

Texas Knitters
Join | List | Previous | Next |
Powered by RingSurf

Rowanette Blog Ring
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random |

Base layout by Firdamatic
Graphics by Amy
Powered by Blogger
Valid XHTML and CSS

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

eXTReMe Tracker