Thursday, May 04, 2006

Elizabeth Lovick's North Ronaldsay Wool

I have mentioned before that I am very interested in traditional knitting and increasing my skills in that direction. I have a number of projects on my needles, but I am looking at a number of traditional projects for the future:
Don't you think I need this wooly board? I actually think a wooly board may indeed be the perfect item to dry sweaters in Texas. If you lay them flat, they just never dry like you want.

In my search for more expertise in traditional items I joined the Knitting from the Hebrides listserv. This has turned out to be a wonderful website and listserv for learning about knitting. And, one of the listserv members is Elizabeth Lovick, who lives in the Orkney Islands, Scotland. I looked at her website, Northern Lace, and was immediately fascinated with the North Ronaldsay Island sheep. These are primitive Bronze Age era sheep and survive for most of the year on seaweed. Make sure that you look at the photo gallery in the site--the sheep are really cute! There is a small mill on the island that processes the yarn--you couldn't find a better way to support a local, traditional economy.

I wrote to ELizabeth to inquire about her yarn and patterns and ended up buying her A NORTH RONALDSAY YARN - The Sheep, Their Yarn and Their Island and Patterns for North Ronaldsay Yarn. The pattern book contains some lovely patterns, and I am particularly interested in one of the traditional gansey patterns. Here's the package I received from Liz:


Yarn samples and pattern book
Originally uploaded by amyeetx.

And the yarn is beautiful! Liz hand dyes yarn, but I am particularly interested in the natural colors. Choices, choices.


Mixed yarns
Originally uploaded by amyeetx.

Gallery of Finished Objects

Gallery 2007
Gallery 2006
Gallery 2005
Gallery 2004

On the Needles

Cable Cardigan

Faroe Island Sweater

Rowan Denim Seahorse

Mittens

Future Knits

Lisette from Rowan

Lorna's Laces Socks

Backyard Leaves Scarf

Eloise from Jane Ellison


Weather

The WeatherPixie

Blogroll

Blog Rings

Knitting Blogs

Knitting Bloggers
Previous | Next



Academics Knit
Join | List | Previous | Next
Powered by RingSurf

Texas Knitters
Join | List | Previous | Next |
Powered by RingSurf

Rowanette Blog Ring
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random |

Base layout by Firdamatic
Graphics by Amy
Powered by Blogger
Valid XHTML and CSS

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

eXTReMe Tracker