Friday, July 28, 2006

Colorwork

I've been really interested in pushing my knitting techniques forward and lately I've been fascinated with colorwork. You might remember these mittens:


Almost Complete Mittens
Originally uploaded by amyeetx.

Do you see what happened? I am half way up the last thumb and ran out of the cranberry color. I have to order one more skein, but can't find the ball band. So, I decided I needed to get the color card to be sure that I had the right color shade...

But it gets better! My Mom bought this kit from Nordic Fiber Arts as part of my 2005 b-day present. The online store is local to my Mom, so she asked around to see who owned the town. One of the women in her church choir group is the owner's daughter, so when I was last in NH, I visited. This is a mail order only catalog, but as a favor to my Mom, I was able to look through the store and working area to pick a few items. Just a few:

I have wanted to purchase these for a long time, and Deb, the owner, thinks it may become more difficult to buy these in the US, so order now before they go out of print!

I purchased Poetry in Stitches by Solveig Hisdal, Norsk Strikkedesign, and Lativian Dremas by Joyce Williams. These are all amazing books, but the Poetry in Stitches has to be my favorite. Every time I look at it, I can find another design that I want to make.



Books
Originally uploaded by amyeetx.

Debbie also carries the yarn packs for Poetry in Stitches, so I purchased two very expensive kits as well as another mitten kit.


Yarn Packs
Originally uploaded by amyeetx.

Here's the mitten kit--Rosebord. These yarns are a little finer gauge than the first pair. The first pair was so much fun to knit, that I needed another.


Mitten Kit
Originally uploaded by amyeetx.

This is a square necked cardigan, based on a traditional Norweigan wedding cardigan. All the kits are in the original Hifa 2 Yarns. This yarn is just so soft and lovely.




Sweater Kit
Originally uploaded by amyeetx.


I first saw this pattern in an Interweave Knits issue. At first I thought the orange was just too much, but I kept returning to the pattern. I looked at the actual yarn pack and realized the orange was not nearly as bright as I suspected. This is far more subtle than one would think. This one should be great fun to knit!



Sweater Kit
Originally uploaded by amyeetx.

I really love these kits and can't wait to get started. Of course, there's that list of summer knits--but when it hits fall, look out!

Gallery of Finished Objects

Gallery 2007
Gallery 2006
Gallery 2005
Gallery 2004

On the Needles

Cable Cardigan

Faroe Island Sweater

Rowan Denim Seahorse

Mittens

Future Knits

Lisette from Rowan

Lorna's Laces Socks

Backyard Leaves Scarf

Eloise from Jane Ellison


Weather

The WeatherPixie

Blogroll

Blog Rings

Knitting Blogs

Knitting Bloggers
Previous | Next



Academics Knit
Join | List | Previous | Next
Powered by RingSurf

Texas Knitters
Join | List | Previous | Next |
Powered by RingSurf

Rowanette Blog Ring
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random |

Base layout by Firdamatic
Graphics by Amy
Powered by Blogger
Valid XHTML and CSS

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

eXTReMe Tracker